Costrignano was part of the lands of the Abbey and was mentioned for the first time in documents dating to 1029, in which the Archpriest of Rubbiano donated some of the territory of Costrignano to the Church of San Geminiano in Modena. Due to its strategic defensive position, a castle was built in the village of Poggio in the first half of the twelfth century, and was entrusted by the Abbot to the Da Balso captains; it was later destroyed by the Modenese between 1155 and 1156. In former times, two further small fortresses stood at Castellaro and Campagnola, of which no traces can be seen today. At the “Castellaccio”, the medieval tower, once part of a small fortress, can still be seen; it was built after 1252 by the Abbott of Frassinoro, using the proceeds from the selling of various possessions from Levizzano. The tower of the “Castellaccio” still conserves the original wall with its vertical arrow slits and a doorway with concave corbels and triangular architrave. In 1173 the men of Costrignano swore allegiance to the Modenese at Susano;in 1197 it became an autonomous state, with three consuls and 33 heads of family, a status maintained until at least 1306. Following the decline of the Abbott of Frassinoro, it came under the power of the Montecuccolis. It was later the fiefdom of the Mostis and Sabbatinis as part of the Podesta of Medola and, later, the Podesta of Rancidoro. A landslide destroyed almost the whole area in 1652 and the present Parish Church of Santa Margherita (1886) features stonework from the previous zoological configuration. Conserved in the sacristy, there is a painting of Santa Margherita dating to 1500. The bell tower is in neo-Romanesque style.