This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

Ducal palace

Contact Pro Loco
Address Via Giardini, 3 41026 Pavullo nel Frignano MO
Telephone 0536/20358-324290
Fax 0536/308070-20358
E-mail informagiovani@comune.pavullo-nel-frignano.mo.it
Internet www.comune.pavullo-nel-frignano.mo.it

Accessibility on foot

Last update 23/02/2014 (ref.2735)
by the local editorial office of PAVULLO nel FRIGNANO
presso Ufficio Informazione Turistica del Comune di Pavullo nel Frignano
Via Giardini, 3 - 41026 - Pavullo nel Frignano (MO)
Telefono: 053629964 - Fax: 053629025
Email: uit@comune.pavullo-nel-frignano.mo.it

It was built by the order of the Duke Francesco IV, who chose Pavullo because it was easily reachable from Modena, by Via Giardini. It was planned by Sante Cavani, engineer, mathematician and teacher of the Pioneer Mathematician Cadets, in keeping with the Neo-classic models of that time. It presents, in fact, a symmetric structure with nine openings on each floor. The work began in 1830, but proceeded very slowly. In 1844 the construction of the building was not finished, yet. Consequently, in 1846, when Francesco V succeeded his father, he used this palace as summer residence only for a decade, until the Unity of Italy. In this period, the Royal infanta of Spain, Don Giovanni and Maria Beatrice; Maria Anna, empress of Austria, the King of Saxony, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, and the princess Augusta of Bavaria were all guests of this residence. It was restored in 1882 to make room to the offices of the Prefecture and of the Law-court, and in 1985, it was organized as follows: the ground floor was used as Art Gallery, the first floor as seat of the Magistrate's court, the second floor as municipal library, and finally the garret as assembly-room. After recent restoration work, the cellar has been turned into show-rooms