Climbing up the steep cliff of Gaiato, which holds the memory of an obscure past, one is struck by the roughness of the surrounding countryside. Gaiato dates back, like Pavullo, to the settlement by "Liguri Friniates", who made it an excellent defense point. Placed at 926 mt. above sea level, the old tower of Gaiato is the only proof left of an important castle. It was built on the top af a mountain, whose peculiar cone shape represents the highest point of Pavullo territory. The old part of Gaiato is constituted only by few houses of little interest, grouping around the church. The new part of Gaiato (Pianelli) has developed on the hills that dominate the old built-up area, about 3 Km away. It is now the economic and tourist center of the village. The church of Gaiato was built in a locality called "Mercatello" in 1755 and was dedicated to S.Pietro and S.Paolo. The medieval villages of Oppiano, C� Bagata, Mercatello, La C�, Piano del Monte, C� Brusiano are worth seeing.