Only the ruins of an ancient tower remain as evidence of the ancient castle which once stood in Niviano, unusually situated downhill rather than high up on one of the many hilltops as most of the castles in our area were once built. Near Niviano lies the tiny hamlet of Lavacchio. Fortified at various times over the years, in 1242 it became one of the main defensive positions in the area. The symbol of Lavacchio is the newly restored tower which, having been abandoned and neglected for many years, has been brought back to its former glory thanks to much restoration work. The little church of Lavacchio, dating to 1522 and dedicated to Saint Anna, is typical of the area, with its bell-tower positioned in the centre of the facade. Today Lavacchio is the seat of a famous exhibition of murals. Nearby are the hamlets of Gallinamorta, with its oratory, Beneverchio and Mulino Cornola.