It appears for the first time in the oath of allegiance to Modena, made in 1173, as part of the territory of the Abbey of Frassinoro (Court of Vitriola). In around 1400 Nicolò III united it to Vitriola and in 1470 decreed that it could never again be separated. In 1614 the population refused that Savoniero should be given as a fiefdom to the Mostis. In January 1652 a huge landslide destroyed the whole area and, because of this, the Duke conceded that the inhabitants were exempt from paying taxes for six years. Of notable interest are the parish church, dedicated to S. Geminiano, restored and extended in 1507 and separated from the church of Susano, upon which it had been dependent until then, in 1657; and the Oratory of Ca’ di Pietro, dedicated to S. Antonio, dating to 1711.