Enclosed from behind by the slopes of Mount Cantiere, it looks over the Valley of Dragone from high. According to tradition, the name comes from the secretions of methane gas which emanate from under ground through openings in the surface of the earth ("bocche nel suolo"). The community was first mentioned in a document dating to 1029 as part of the territories coming under the Pieve di Rubbiano. Belonging to the Court of Medola, it was donated by Beatrice of Lorraine to the Monastery of Frassinoro in 1071, thus becoming part of the “Terre della Badia”, the lands of the abbey. In the 12th and 13th centuries it was united with the new monastery, Pieve dei Monti di Santa Giulia. In 1321 it was occupied by Guidinello da Montecuccolo and, along with the Terre della Badia, remained under the power of the Montecuccolis until 1522; then, firstly as part of the domain of Medola and later as part of the domain of Rancidoro, it was given by the d’Este dynasty as a fiefdom to the Mostis and later to the Sabbatinis. In the XII century the church of S. Apollinare belonged to the Pieve di S. Giulia. The present-day church, moved from its original location, dates to 1857-63 and conserves two capitals from the same century which originally came from the Abbey of Frassinoro, used as holy water stoups, as well as ornaments from the 16th century and an oil painting from the 18th century. The distinctive bell-tower rises from a rocky spur probably on the foundations of the ancient feudal tower built by the Abbot of Frassinoro in the XIII century. The Oratory of S. Rocco dates to 1853 and conserves a painting depicting the legend of the apparition of the Virgin Mary on a golden ash tree. The Oratory of Casa Giulia dedicated to the Beata Vergine Immacolata dates to the XVIII century.