Pompeano has been part of Serramazzoni only since 1860; before then, its story was linked to the Counts of Gombola, of Longobard origins, who were one of the most powerful families of the mountains of Modena. In 1416, the da Gombolas lost their fiefdom to the dei Cesi, under whom it remained until the arrival of Napoleon’s troops in 1796. The castle can be reached only by climbing up a stairway on the outside of the walls. Within the walls there are an ancient square tower; the palace - in a bad state of disrepair - which was the residence of Marquis Ferdinando Calori Cesi until 1885; the bell tower, which was completed in 1886; and, finally, the “re-risen” church dedicated to San Geminiano. This sacred building has an unusual story of willpower, determination and love: from its beginnings as the castle church dedicated to Santa Maria, to being the parish church dedicated to San Geminiano, thanks to the wishes of the parish priest Don Tassoni and the parishioners of Pompeano, its apse was extended between 1885 and 1900. After the death of Don Tommaso, the church was not completed, and in 1960 it even had to be closed as the roof was in danger of collapsing. In 1886, after thirty years of abandonment, the Parish and the people of Pompeano, availing themselves of technical experts and with the financial help of the Region, the Province, the Council, banks and private businesses, in just two years repaired the roof of the church and the rectory. The rock on which the castle of Pompeano stands, of such a dark green that it seems almost black (due to iron and magnesium content), is of volcanic origin; there is a crack that runs through it which has formed a cave of about thirty metres in lenth. After a rather narrow opening, the cave then widens: it is about 4 or 5 metres in height and about 3 metres wide. Along the steep and slippery path, cave salamanders can be admired; at the bottom of the cave there is a small lake, which, during certain periods of the year, is about 20 metres deep.