This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

S. Dalmazio



Last update 06/08/2014 (ref.130000487)
by the local editorial office of SERRAMAZZONI
Piazza T.Tasso n. 7 - 41028 Serramazzoni (MO)
Tel. 0536 952202 oppure 0536 952199 int 230 - Fax 0536/954665
Email: turismosport@comune.serramazzoni.mo.it

San Dalmazio is located on the main road between Serramazzoni and Marano and is seven kilometres from Serramazzoni. In the centre of the village, there is the Gentilini house-tower, with, as testimony to its ancient origins, the date 1474 engraved in stone. The Via Vandelli (1739 – 1741), linking Modena with Massa Carrara, passed under the watchful guard of this tower.
Just a few hundred metres from the hamlet, on a rise looking over the Val Tiepido below, there was once a fortification of which just a few traces still remain. The church, dedicated to San Dalmazio, bishop and martyr, has been greatly modified and restructured over the years; it was modified for the last time in the 1980s. Still in San Dalmazio, along the narrow road that leads to the ancient castle, there is a small church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was built in 1683 for Captain Lodovico Gentilini. In the square, a small monument is dedicated to the memory of those that lost their lives in the wars and to the emigrants from San Dalmazio who died in 1913 in the Dawson mine in the state of Illinois, USA.