This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

Montagnana



Last update 29/10/2014 (ref.130000483)
by the local editorial office of SERRAMAZZONI
Piazza T.Tasso n. 7 - 41028 Serramazzoni (MO)
Tel. 0536 952202 oppure 0536 952199 int 230 - Fax 0536/954665
Email: turismosport@comune.serramazzoni.mo.it

The village of Montagnana is situated on the Via Giardini, ten kilometres from Serramazzoni and seven kilometres from Maranello. The church, dedicated to the apostle San Andrea, was built in 1883 by the engineer Antonio Vandelli. Until 2001, the church used to be home to the oldest bell in the Province of Modena (it is currently on display for a limited period as part of the exhibition of sacred ornaments at the Abbey of Nonantola). Inside the bell there is the inscription, “in the year of our Lord, 1262”. It is likely that the church of Rocca S Maria, which goes a long way back and which was the church of the common folk of the area, donated the bell to the “daughter” church of Montagnana. A short distance away, following the Via Giardini towards the plain, you can visit the Church of the Resistance, which was built in 1965 to commemorate the contribution made by the inhabitants of the Modenese mountains towards the partisan struggles of the years 1943 – 1945.
Since the completion of the Via Giardini in 1777 – 1780, Montagnana, thanks to its position at the end of a steep climb, provided a stopping place at its “Trattoria la Noce” for those travelling by horse-drawn coach or cart, who, having taken charcoal and wood to the city, would then return to the mountains with their load of salt and tobacco, and, since the beginning of the 1900s, for the steam coach drivers coming from Maranello, who would stop here to add water to their steam-driven engines.